
John and I joined a portion of our Boy Scout troop recently on a campout to Nam Shan on Lantau Island in Hong Kong. It was a great experience. Most of the boys that went on the camp were from my Webelos den.

Jake did such a fabulous job leading the boys on this campout. It was
mostly the new scouts... nine of them, to be exact! And he led the way, taught them skills, gave directions, rallied them for games, etc. It was fantastic to see him "perform" so well. Adam wasn't able to come along because of other commitments, but I'm sure he does equally well in leading the boys. Adam and Jake are both assistant patrol leaders in the troop this year.
I actually purchased a pack, loaded it up with my gear, and made the trek for this campout. We met at the ferry pier and travelled over to the island where we caught a bus that dropped us off near our camp location. Actually, we really didn't do much hiking, which was good and bad. I needed more steps for the week! But at the same time, I was glad to get a only a small taste of real backpacking. This was my first experience, and all went well. This was also Jordan's first Boy Scout campout, and I'm officially done with Cub Scouting! Now we've got three boys in the scouting program!

So, this is the new me... a camper! I look forward to more camping
and backpacking adventures to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment